New Childhood Lead Poisioning Limits

POSTED BY on Feb 1 under Lead Paint Inspection Information

Childhood Lead Poisoning Photograph

I read an article in my local paper recently that a federal government advisory committee is considering lowering the definition of lead poisoning for children from 10 micrograms of lead per deciliter of blood to 5 micrograms per deciliter. The article was from the Associated Press and was written by Mike Stobbe.  The article was titled: New Lead Limits Proposed. The Lead Poisoning Threshold was lowered in 1991 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from 25 micrograms per deciliter to 10 micrograms per deciliter. Dropping the Childhood Lead Poisoning level to 5 micrograms per deciliter tells us that it doesn’t take very much lead in blood to cause young children health problems.

Lead can be present in residences in the U.S. that were built prior to 1978.  Ingestion of lead dust is the main cause of childhood lead poisoning. Lead dust is caused by lead based paints. It comes from deteriorating lead based paint; when lead based paint is disturbed or broken during repairs and renovations; when surfaces are impacted (closing doors,  floors, stair parts etc.); and from friction when painted parts rub against each other such as opening and closing windows.

If you live in a home or apartment that was built prior to 1978 and are concerned about childhood lead poisoning, having your home tested for lead based paint is the way to identify lead hazards in your home. Certified Inspectors can test your home for lead hazards and help you determine ways to reduce or eliminate them.

Leave a Comment

If you would like to make a comment, please fill out the form below.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Comments

Please solve this math problem *

Copyright Bay Area Lead Detectors Blog.